|POSITION TITLE: Overhire – Electrics, Sound, Scene Shop, Paint Shop, Costumes||CREATED: April 2022|
|SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Appropriate Shop Head, Production Manager||FLSA STATUS: Seasonal Non-Exempt|
|SALARY: Starts at $14/hour, DOE||DATES: Various|
ABOUT INDIANA REPERTORY THEATRE
The Indiana Repertory Theatre (IRT) was founded in 1972 and is the only theatre in Indiana to belong to the League of Resident Theatres (LORT). The IRT currently produces seven productions annually across two stages (the OneAmerica Mainstage and the Upperstage) for diverse audiences. The repertoire includes work varying from world premieres to classics. The IRT serves audiences of multiple generations including students from third through twelfth grade. With a significant endowment, the IRT has relative financial stability and is debt free. Following many decades of diverse programming, the IRT leadership, in the past four years, has focused on further diversifying its staff and board, including ongoing anti-racist training for all.
Live theatre connects us to meaningful issues in our lives and has the power to shape the human experience. The mission of the Indiana Repertory Theatre is to produce top-quality, professional theatre and related activities, providing experiences that will engage, surprise, challenge, and entertain people throughout their lifetimes, helping us build a vital and vibrant community.
The Indiana Repertory Theatre will be a life-long destination of choice for an ever-expanding audience of all ages and backgrounds seeking enjoyable and meaningful experiences. Using theatre as a springboard for both personal reflection and community discussion, our productions and programs will inspire our neighbors to learn about themselves and others. As an arts leader in the state of Indiana, the IRT’s goal is to make Indiana a dynamic home of cultural expression, economic vitality, and a diverse, informed, and engaged citizenry.
COMMITMENT TO CREATING AND SUPPORTING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE
The IRT is committed to building an inclusive, welcoming Theatre that celebrates diversity in all areas of our work. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply. This includes, but is not limited to, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender, and non-binary candidates.
Located in the heart of Indiana, Indianapolis is a vibrant city to live, work, and play. Indy, as the locals call it, is touted as the Crossroads of America, and you will feel the Midwest vibe as soon as you arrive.
Ranked 16th in the United States in city size with a population close to 878,000, Indy is big enough to explore neighborhoods and the surrounding area on the weekends and cozy enough to call home. The Indiana Repertory Theatre is in the heart of downtown in the historic Indiana Theatre building, located steps away from the Indianapolis Cultural Trail. Downtown Indianapolis is convenient for walking and biking and is easily navigable by IndyGo bus or car.
In addition to a thriving arts and cultural scene featuring the Indianapolis Zoo, Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, and The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, Indy is known for the Indianapolis 500, a myriad of sports teams including the Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Colts, and Indianapolis Indians, and a bustling music and diverse restaurant scene. Did we mention a welcoming and convenient airport? The Indianapolis International Airport has been named the best airport in North America in 2012-2020 by Airports Council International.
Indy offers something for everyone in terms of affordable living for both home buying and renting. But don’t take our word for it:
- Forbes recently named Indianapolis as America’s Best City for Renters
- Good Housekeeping named Indy one of the Best Cities for First-Time Homeowners in the U.S.
- Learn more: Life in Indy and Downtown Indy
And, Indy is a beautiful destination for residents and visitors alike:
- Condé Nast Traveler named Indy one of Best Places to Go in 2021
- Travel + Leisure names Indy one of the Best Places to Travel in 2021
- Reader’s Digest named Indy one of the best American cities for Live Music
Learn more: Visit Indy
To support various shops as needed commiserate with skills.
POSITION FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- IRT is looking to rebuild our overhire lists as we recover from the pandemic. Positions include Scenic Carpentry, Upholstery, Scenic Artistry, Cabinetmaking, Rigging, Costume Construction, Pattern Making, Electrics, Audio Engineering, Projections, Stage Management, Production Assistants, etc.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience:
- General knowledge in your given field or in some instances, simply the desire to learn more about a department.
- General knowledge in technical theatre practices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Varies depending on position.
HEALTH & SAFETY
- COVID-19 vaccination and proof of vaccination are required for employment at the IRT.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Varies dependent of position, but could include the following
- Ability to transport 25-50 lbs.
- The ability to operate power tools.
- The ability to ascend/descend stairs or work ladders.
- Additional needs will be communicated prior to engagement.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please send a cover letter and resume with three references to ProductionJobs@irtlive.com. Please include the position for which you would like to be considered in the subject line. You may also mail them to the Indiana Repertory Theatre ATTN: Production Manager, 140 W Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204.