Employment & Auditions
ABOUT INDIANA REPERTORY THEATRE
The Indiana Repertory Theatre (IRT) was founded in 1972 and is the only theatre in Indiana to belong to the League of Resident Theatres (LORT). Historically, the IRT has produced nine productions annually across three stages (the OneAmerica Mainstage, the Upperstage, and the Cabaret) for diverse audiences. The repertoire includes work varying from world premieres to classics. The IRT serves audiences of multiple generations including students from pre-school through twelfth grade. With a significant endowment, the IRT is financially stable. Following many decades of diverse programming, the IRT leadership, in the past two years, has focused on further diversifying its staff and board, including ongoing anti-racist training for all.
Live theatre connects us to meaningful issues in our lives and has the power to shape the human experience. The mission of the Indiana Repertory Theatre is to produce top-quality, professional theatre and related activities, providing experiences that will engage, surprise, challenge, and entertain people throughout their lifetimes, helping us build a vital and vibrant community.
The Indiana Repertory Theatre will be a life-long destination of choice for an ever-expanding audience of all ages and backgrounds seeking enjoyable and meaningful experiences. Using theatre as a springboard for both personal reflection and community discussion, our productions and programs will inspire our neighbors to learn about themselves and others. As an arts leader in the state of Indiana, the IRT's goal is to make Indiana a dynamic home of cultural expression, economic vitality, and a diverse, informed, and engaged citizenry.
The Production Manager is a member of Senior Staff and a leader of the Production Departments and creative processes to achieve organizational and artistic goals.
POSITION FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To facilitate the achievement of the highest quality art making on IRT’s stages while adhering to schedules and budgets and managing a staff to positive outcomes
- Managing the recruiting, hiring, contracting, and development of all production team members and production over-hire, with an emphasis on diversifying that work force, including (but not limited to):
- Production Departmental Managers
- Stage Managerial Staff
- Production Assistants
- Run Crews
- Seasonal Production Team members
- Create, Evaluate, and Manage Production Schedules, which include but are not limited to:
- Production Calendar
- Designer Deadlines
- Load-In / Change-over schedules
- Rehearsal Schedules
- Tech Schedules
- Work schedules created by departmental managers
- Create, maintain, and manage all production budgets
- Assist Departmental Managers in meeting all production deadlines within budget while achieving the highest level of artistic quality possible.
- Manage Design Process:
- Obtaining designs from designers
- Disseminating designs to directors, artistic director, and production team
- Assist departmental managers in getting designs finalized on time and within budget while maintaining artistic quality
- Schedule, run, and organize all
- Production Meetings
- Live & Learns
- Design Concept Meetings
- Designer-Departmental Meetings
- Attend all tech rehearsals and previews and run production meetings following each
- Facilitate all communication between creative team members and departmental managers
- Coordinate crossover projects between departments
- Assist production departmental managers with unexpected problem solving
- Act as liaison between departmental managers and administrative staff to facilitate ancillary work requests
- Manage Production elements related to space rental events
- Work with General Manager to facilitate maintenance of stage equipment and purchase new equipment as needed
- Head up building wide safety and safety procedures
- Facilitates tech needs for Marketing and Development events
- Member of the Senior Staff
- Act as an ambassador to promote the IRT
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Experience leading teams of more than 10 individuals
- Experience in producing organizations or producing entertainment ventures
- Experience managing budgetary expenditures
- Experience prioritizing and scheduling multi-step processes through completion
- Experience in theatrical art environments
- Experience in liaising between departments
- Experience managing many personality types and staff types (free lancers, full time, part time, over-hire)
- Knowledge of professionals working in the field
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong interpersonal communication, across age, gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.
- Working knowledge of industry “best practices”
- In-depth knowledge of scale drawings and basic understanding of CAD
- Networking and negotiating skills
- Constantly operates a computer and other office machinery
- Must frequently communicate and express oneself with staff, designers, directors, and guests of the theatre
- Must occasionally move about the office/theatre area to access crews and evaluate timelines for delivery
- Must be able to perceive visual differences in colors and lighting
Please submit resume and cover letter to Janet Allen, Margot Lacy Eccles Artistic Director via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The INDIANA REPERTORY THEATRE is currently accepting resumes for over-hire positions in all production departments. The IRT is a mid-sized LORT (C & D Stages) theatre, producing a wide variety of existing and new work for adults and children (currently 9 productions) located in downtown Indianapolis. Positions include: scenic carpentry, upholstery, scenic artistry, cabinetmaking, rigging, costume construction, pattern making, electrics, audio engineering, projections, stage management, production assistants, etc. Please send your resume to ProductionJobs@irtlive.com and include the words “Resume Submission” or “Overhire” in the subject line or mail them to the theatre – our address is at the bottom of the page. At the IRT, we believe that diverse ideas, backgrounds, cultures, and traditions enrich the quality of work we present on the stage. We are committed to all forms of diversity in all areas of our work.
The Indiana Repertory Theatre held their annual Equity Principal Auditions in March of 2020 through video submission. If you missed the General Audition but would like to be considered for the 2020-2021 season, please email your headshot and resume to email@example.com.
Show-specific auditions are by invitation only.
Indiana Repertory Theatre is currently reimagining our 2020-2021 season. We are researching best practices for engaging young actors and will update this website with an announcement at the beginning of September. No youth auditions will take place before September.
Thank you for your patience as we work to safely return to the theatre. If you have additional questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in getting involved as an usher at the IRT? Volunteer to usher at any of our performances throughout the year and receive access to watch the performance you usher.
Already an usher? Log in here.
If you would like more information or want to be registered as a new volunteer please send an email to House Manager Julia McCarty at email@example.com. If you need immediate usher information during business hours, please contact Randy Talley, Executive Assistant, at 317.916.4801 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBMIT YOUR SCRIPT
The Indiana Repertory Theatre internship program offers an exciting opportunity for college and graduate students to gain professional experience by: working side-by-side with extraordinary artists, administrators, and technicians.
- being actively involved in the production of world-class theatre among a variety of departments.
- partnering with each student, university, and department to develop a course of study that best meets the needs of all parties.
- delivering experienced-based, hands-on learning opportunities that provide the necessary skills to become a viable candidate in a highly competitive field
Available internships will be listed in the space below. Follow the directions outlined in the internship description to apply. Please note that unless otherwise specified, IRT internships are unpaid, and do not include housing.
In the event that no internships are currently available, you can address general internship inquiries to email@example.com.