Young Playwrights in Process
See your story brought to life! Young Playwrights in Process (YPiP) is an online playwriting competition hosted by the Indiana Repertory Theatre for Indiana students in grades 6-12. The competition was created by IRT in 2005 through the Margot L. and Robert S. Eccles Trust. YPiP encourages middle and high school students across Indiana to create plays that reflect and challenge their world.
This year, YPiP events will be done entirely online! All submissions, workshops, and events will take place virtually so we can connect with more students than ever before.
Young playwrights—if you have a story to tell, we want to read it. Submit your play to YPiP and have the chance to win $1,000!
Educators—you can include our lessons as a part of your curriculum! Watch this welcome video from James Still, IRT's Playwright-in-Residence, to learn more.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
Follow these simple steps:
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- The deadline to submit your play is Tuesday, September 22 at 12 PM.
- All submissions will receive an email with feedback from a theatre professional who will read the submitted plays (emails will be sent within three weeks).
- A selection of top playwrights are invited to our Next Level Workshop to work on revising their play and developing new playwriting skills.
- Following the workshop, students will have two weeks to revise their plays and resubmit them. Resubmitted plays will be read by new theatre professionals who will give students specialized feedback and advice for additional revisions.
- Six playwrights will be selected as semi-finalists.
- Semi-finalists will be a part of our Semi-Finalist Weekend where they will hear their play read by professional actors and work one-on-one with directors and playwrights.
- Playwrights from this round will take what they learned to revise their plays and resubmit them for a final round of feedback.
- Two playwrights will be selected as the finalist winners.
- Finalists will rehearse with actors and directors for a professional reading of their play. Semi-finalists will have an excerpt from their play read by professional actors.
- The two finalist will receive $1,000 each and four semi-finalists will receive $100 each. The finalists and sem-finalists will also receive a recording of their reading to share with friends and family!
Please note that to be eligible for semi-finals and finals, students MUST be available for all scheduled workshops and events (these will be virtual).
In addition to receiving a reading of their plays, the semi-finalist playwrights win $100 cash, and the finalist playwrights win $1,000 cash!
Special Offer for teachers!
If your classroom or homeschool co-op pledges to submit at least five (5) scripts to the YPiP program, we'll offer you a FREE Virtual Artist in the Classroom visit to help your young playwrights start or focus their pieces. For more details about this offer, contact IRT Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.