Local Street Closures
- New: On October 17, Touchdown Town for Colts vs. Texans will shut down South Street between West Street and Capitol Avenue from 5 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- New: Also in relation to the Colts game on October 17, the Bud Light Tailgate will close Georgia Street between Illinois Street and Capitol Avenue from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- A portion of McCarty Street near the intersection of Kentucky Avenue will be closed through December 2021 for the Citizens Energy Group’s DigIndy Tunnel project.
- Multiple streets are experiencing lane closures through October 2022 due to construction surrounding Bankers Life Fieldhouse:
- Pennsylvania Street: Left lanes are closed south of Maryland Georgia streets
- Delaware Street: Left lanes are closed north of the CSX tracks to Maryland Street
Downtown Street Restructuring
- The Indianapolis Department of Public Works began construction on a package of four downtown streets that will span now - late November. Traffic will be maintained with lane restrictions throughout the project. This $1.2 million project will begin by patching various segments in the first few weeks of the project and is then expected to move to milling and resurfacing later in October. Patching will occur from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday through Sunday. Milling and resurfacing will be performed from 7 p.m. - 7 a.m. Monday through Saturday. The segments included in this package are:
- South Street from West Street to Capitol Avenue
- McCarty Street from West Street to Capitol Avenue
- Capitol Avenue from McCarty Street to South Street
- Missouri Street from I-70 to South Street
IU Health Utilities Relocation
- Indiana University Health is preparing to develop a world-class medical facility in downtown Indianapolis. To begin clearing and preparing the project area for the new facility, existing utilities must be relocated. Complex underground construction work will run now – March 2022. More details about the resulting road closures and phases of construction can be found below:
- A portion of Missouri Street and 16th Street now – Jan. 25, 2022
- The intersection of Capitol Avenue and 16th Street from Dec. 22, 2021 – Jan. 25, 2022
- A portion of Capitol Avenue from Dec. 22, 2021 – March 7, 2022
- New: West 16th Street in front of Methodist Hospital's emergency department will close to traffic until January 2022. To provide access during construction, a temporary access road has been created so patients and ambulances can continue to access Methodist Hospital's emergency department. To see how to navigate this new access road, watch this video.
- For more information about this project and upcoming road closures, please visit https://iuhealth.org/about-our-system/building-on-our-promise
North Split Updates
- New: The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announced the opening of the southbound I-65 collector/distributor (C/D) ramp to Michigan Street during a media event this morning. This is the first reconstructed ramp to open since the full North Split closure in May. Drivers can begin to use the Michigan Street ramp on October 11.
- Lewis Street will be closed under the interstate from 7 p.m. - 5 a.m. October 4 - 13. The vehicle detour follows 13th Street, Commerce Avenue and 16th Street.
- Eastbound Ohio Street will be closed to traffic at College Avenue from now - October 23, weather permitting. All eastbound Ohio Street traffic will be redirected to New York Street via College Avenue for the duration of this closure.
- Davidson Street is closed between Market and Washington streets to increase safety for motorists using the Washington Street exit.
- For updates and details on traffic redirection, visit www.northsplit.com.
- The westbound lane of Market Street from Illinois Street to Monument Circle has now closed as work begins on the first phase of a streetscape improvement project along this segment of Market Street. Market Street is also closed between North Delaware and North Alabama streets until the project's expected end date in late 2021. The northbound, eastern most lane of Illinois Street at the Market Street intersection is also closed to traffic. This first phase of the West Market Street project is expected to be complete by the end of the year.
- The Indianapolis Department of Public Works has closed the south side of West Market Street between Illinois Street and Monument Circle. Market Street is also closed between North Delaware and North Alabama streets until the project's expected end date in late 2021. The closure will allow for utility relocation related to transporation and pedestrian improvements.
- Delaware Street remains under construction, with traffic now using the newly rebuilt eastside lanes between Maryland and Vermont streets. Parking will be limited in this segment because traffic will use the eastside parking lane as a travel lane during this phase. Pedestrians may use the open, eastside sidewalks along most of this segment, watching for additional signage and detours, particularly in the area of the Washington and Market Street intersections. Delaware Street should reopen in late 2021.
- Every Wednesday, Market Street between Alabama and New Jersey will be closed due to the Original Farmers’ Market put on by the Indianapolis City Market.
Traffic alerts provided by Downtown Indy, Inc.