The IRT offers one American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreted and Audio Described (AD) performance for each OneAmerica Mainstage and Upperstage production. Patrons who are deaf are encouraged to sit in the interpretation zone (please request with the Ticket Office when purchasing tickets or packages) and meet the interpreters before the play begins.
At every performance we offer Assisted Listening Devices (ALD) free of charge. These personal headsets use IRT's existing sound system to amplify the performance for patrons with hearing impairment. You can request a device by speaking to a House Manager.
If you have any questions or comments about these services, please contact Margaret Lehtinen, Manager of Public Operations at 317.916.4872 or email@example.com.
Explore Accessible Indy, Visit Indy’s Accessibility Guide.
An ASL/AD performance is offered for each production on the OneAmerica Mainstage and the Upperstage. These ASL/AD performances are as follows:
Holmes and watsonSunday, October 7 at 2 p.m.
Pipeline Sunday, October 28 at 2 p.m.
A CHRISTMAS CAROLSunday, December 9 at 2 p.m.
every brilliant thing Sunday, January 20, performance at 2 p.m.
THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK | Saturday, February 17, performance at 3 p.m.
A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2 Sunday March 24, performance at 2 p.m.
AMBER WAVES Sunday, April 14, performance at 2 p.m.
YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU Sunday, May 5, performance at 2 p.m
Assisted Listening Devices (ALD) are available free of charge. ASL/AD is offered for each production on the OneAmerica Mainstage and the Upperstage (see below for dates).
HOLMES AND WATSONSunday, October 7 at 2 p.m.
A CHRISTMAS CAROLSunday, December 9 at 2 p.m.
EVERY BRILLIANT THINGSunday, January 20, performance at 2 p.m.
THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANKSaturday, February 17, performance at 3 p.m.
A DOLL'S HOUSE, PART 2Sunday March 24, performance at 2 p.m.
AMBER WAVESSunday, April 14, performance at 2 p.m.
YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOUSunday, May 5, performance at 2 p.m
- A courtesy wheelchair is available to transport you from the IRT curb to your seat in the house. To arrange assistance, please contact House Management at 317.916.4872.
- The IRT in partnership with Elite is happy to provide curbside Valet Parking at every IRT production.
- IRT’s West Lobby is an accessible entrance for entry to the Grand Lobby, Ticket Office, and restrooms via a ramp.
- The East Lobby houses two elevators, which can be used to reach the 4th floor Upperstage lobby and the 3rd floor Upperstage accessible seating (please check in with the house management team on the 4th floor).
- Accessible seating is available in both the OneAmerica Mainstage and the Upperstage. When ordering over the phone, our Ticket Office staff will ask whether you need space for a mobility device. If you have any specific needs, they will be happy to accommodate them. To order online, select the seats with the international accessibility symbol and the star (designated for companions). The Ticket Office will send you a brief email to ensure that your seating needs are met.
- Seats in row M of the OneAmerica stage do not have steps. Each row further toward the stage will be a step down. The front row of the Upperstage theatre also has no steps. Please check in with house management on the 4th floor, then proceed to the 3rd floor for seating.
- Accessible restrooms are found on both the 1st and 2nd floor for the OneAmerica Stage and the 3rd and 4th for the Upperstage.
Sensory Friendly performances are designed to create a welcoming experience for all, including those with autism or other sensory sensitivities. Elements of Sensory Friendly performances may be adapted to ensure the comfort of all of our audience members. These performances are as follows:
A CHRISTMAS CAROLWednesday, December 26 at 2:00 p.m. | PUBLIC Sensory Friendly Performance
THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANKSaturday, February 2 at 2:00 p.m. | PUBLIC Sensory Friendly Performance
ELEPHANT & PIGGIE'S "WE ARE IN A PLAY!"Sunday, February 23 at 1:00 p.m. | PUBLIC Sensory Friendly Performance
These venue-specific guides are available for every performance at space at IRT.
These show-specific guides will be available for every show in our season. Continue checking in before your visit as new guides will be uploaded as they become available. NOTE: These guides may contain spoilers.
Sensory Intense Moments and Visual Indicators
These guides contain a list of moments in each show that may be intense for some audience members, particularly those with sensory sensitivities. During a Sensory Friendly performance, intense moments or jarring technical effects will be indicated before they occur. Staff members at the front of the stage will hold up glow sticks 10-20 seconds before the moment happens, giving audience members a chance to prepare. Continue checking in before your visit as new guides will be uploaded as they become available. NOTE: These guides may contain spoilers.
Holmes and Watson Sensory Intense Moments
Pipeline Sensory Intense Moments
A Christmas Carol Sensory Intense Moments
Every Brilliant Thing Sensory Intense Moments
The Diary of Anne Frank Sensory Intense Moments
For seating questions or requests, contact the IRT Ticket Office at 317.635.5252
For questions about a Sensory Friendly performance or materials, contact Sarah Geis at 317.916.4842 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For patrons who are exceptionally tall or have long legs, we recommend selecting row S when attending a performance at the OneAmerica Stage – it has additional legroom and no one will be seated behind you.
- For heavyset patrons, chairs without arms can be placed in the mobility needs accessible seating. If you select one of these seats online, the ticket office will send you a brief email to ascertain the best way to accommodate your needs. In addition, on the OneAmerica stage, there are several seats with armrests that lift up. They are: E 1, G 1, J 1, F 2, H 2, and K2. On the Upperstage, the seats on the side sections are slightly wider and may provide more comfort.
- If you have a service animal and need accommodation or assistance, please contact our house management team at 317.916.4872.