The IRT is a welcoming and inclusive theatre and offers many accessibility options for our patrons, including audio enhancement or neckloop devices, abbreviated large print programs, and sensory supports. If you have a specific request, just ask a member of House Management when you have your ticket scanned.
If you have any questions or comments about these services, please contact our Ticket Office at 317.635.5252 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in visiting more of Indianapolis? Explore Accessible Indy, Visit Indy’s Accessibility Guide.
The IRT offers one American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreted and Audio Described (AD) performance for each OneAmerica Mainstage and Upperstage production. Patrons who are deaf are encouraged to sit in the interpretation zone (please request with the Ticket Office when purchasing tickets or packages) and meet the interpreters before the play begins.
At every performance we offer Assisted Listening Devices (ALD) free of charge. These personal headsets use IRT's new sound system to amplify the performance for patrons with hearing impairment. You can request a device by speaking to a member of the House Management team.
ASL/AD for Student Matinees
A Christmas Carol: Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 10:30 AM (AD only)
Clue: Tuesday, April 27, 2022 at 10 AM (ASL only)
ASL/AD for Public
Sense and Sensibility: Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 2 PM
The Chinese Lady: Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 2 PM
A Christmas Carol: Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 2 PM
Flyin' West: Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 2 PM
Oedipus: Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 2 PM
Shakepeare's Will: Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 2 PM
Clue: Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 2 PM
- The IRT, in partnership with Goldstar Management Services, is happy to provide curbside Valet Parking for purchase at every IRT production.
- A courtesy wheelchair is available to transport you from the IRT curb to your seat in the Theatre. To arrange assistance, please contact the Ticket Office at 317.635.5252.
- IRT’s West Lobby is an accessible entrance for entry to the Grand Lobby, Ticket Office, and restrooms via a ramp.
- The East Lobby houses two elevators which can be used to reach the 2nd floor during OneAmerica Mainstage productions and the 3rd and 4th floor for Upperstage productions. For 2nd floor access, ask a member of House Management. For accessible seating in the Upperstage, please first check in with the House Management team on the 4th floor.
- Accessible seating is available in both the OneAmerica Mainstage and the Upperstage. When ordering over the phone, our Ticket Office staff will ask whether you need space for a mobility device. If you have any specific needs, they will be happy to accommodate them. To order online, select the seats with the international accessibility symbol and the star (designated for companions). The Ticket Office will send you a brief email to ensure that your seating needs are met.
- Seats in Row M of the OneAmerica Mainstage can be reached without steps. Each row further toward the stage is an additional step down. The front row of the Upperstage Theatre also has no steps. Please check in with House Management on the 4th floor, then proceed to the 3rd floor for seating.
- Accessible restrooms are found on both the 1st and 2nd floor for the OneAmerica Mainstage and the 3rd and 4th floor for the Upperstage.
Sensory Friendly performances are designed to create a welcoming experience for all, including those with autism or other sensory sensitivities. Elements of Sensory Friendly performances may be adapted to ensure the comfort of all of our audience members. Sensory supports are available for all performances, just ask House Management.
Sensory Friendly for Student Matinees:
Sense and Sensibility: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 10 AM
A Christmas Carol: Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 10:30 AM
Oedipus: Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 10 AM
Sensory Friendly for Public:
A Christmas Carol: Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 2 PM
Clue: Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 7:30 PM
These venue-specific guides are available for every performance space at IRT.
OneAmerica Mainstage | Public Performance | Student Matinee
Upperstage | Public Performance | Student Matinee
The Cabaret | Public Performance | Student Matinee
These show-specific guides will be available for select productions in our season and will be uploaded before the show. Please contact the education department at email@example.com for questions or concerns about any production. NOTE: These guides may contain spoilers.
Sense and Sensibility Story Guide
Oedipus Story Guide
Clue Story Guide
Sensory Intense Moments and Visual Indicators
These guides contain a list of moments in each show that may be intense for some audience members, particularly those with sensory sensitivities. During a Sensory Friendly performance, intense moments or jarring technical effects will be indicated before they occur. Staff members at the front of the stage will hold up glow sticks 10-20 seconds before the moment happens, giving audience members a chance to prepare. Continue checking in before your visit as new guides will be uploaded as they become available. NOTE: These guides may contain spoilers.
For seating questions or requests, contact the IRT Ticket Office at 317.635.5252.
- For patrons who need more legroom, we recommend selecting row S when attending a performance in the OneAmerica Mainstage—it has additional legroom and no one will be seated behind you.
- For patrons who need a wider seat, wide seats are located at seat M108 in the OneAmerica Mainstage and seat AA103 in the Upperstage. Chairs without arms can be placed in the mobility needs accessible seating section. If you select one of these seats online, the Ticket Office will send you a brief email to ascertain the best way to accommodate your needs. In addition, there are several seats with armrests that lift up on the OneAmerica Mainstage: E1, G1, J1, F2, H2, and K2. On the Upperstage, the seats on the side sections are slightly wider and may provide more comfort.
- We welcome service animals at the IRT. If you have questions or to arrange assistance, please contact our Ticket Office at 317.635.5252.